Monday, July 13, 2020

Aurangabad : Early days 07


I have been teaching the subject of professional practice to the students of architecture for quite some time now, and there have been always questions about the ethical versus unethical practice, both from the students and the fellow professionals. A major portion of my work came from the Government & Semi-Government organisations as well as some corporate sector clients, and it is alleged that you have to use certain unethical means to work smoothly with such organisations.

My own experience is very old now, having stopped working for such organisations for about twenty years now, but I can vouch for the integrity of many persons of authority in the organisations I worked for and can state with certainty that ethical practice is not only possible but can be flourishing irrespective of whether it is a public sector work or private sector. It all depends on your own character, integrity, beliefs and intentions.

My practice started with Mr. Kharkar, a freedom fighter from Sailu and man of integrity, and since then have met many politicians and administrators who have been quite upright and honest, and in fact my practice was built on the support of these people. In course of my practice I have also met my share of the corrupt and unscrupulous people too, but I have always been uneasy and out of my depth in dealing with them. I get similarly upset and at a loss when people, particularly, building contractors and the like try to do me some favour, though in the course of my practice I acquired a reputation for straight dealings and was not troubled much in the later part of my career.

One instance I remember is about issuing false or incorrect certificates. In the early eighties, cement was in short supply and was allowed to be purchased only on a certificate of a practicing architect. I would usually do this for free for my own clients for their need of cement, but once I was requested to issue a dummy certificate by someone who was willing to pay me for the certificate. He told me that the government officers don’t bother about the correctness of the certificate and nobody keeps count so why bother?

‘You can cash in your qualifications and the fact that you are a practicing architect, nobody would even read the certificate except for the figures where you mention the number of bags of cement’, he told me. I had to tell him that it was my reputation at stake for such a certificate, and I had to read the certificate before signing it, so I would not do it. He was not pleased, and must have taken me for a fool to lose out such easy money.

Exactly similar to this is the certificates Contractors require to continue their registration with the government. As most of the projects in the private sector are done without the tendering process, it is easy to falsify the records and issue dummy certificates to contractors whom you may have never met and earn some extra money on the side without doing much.

In all my practice I have steadfastly refused to issue such certificates, and have been called a fool, a simpleton and many other names. But I have since met many of my own professional colleagues, touring all over the nation while working for IIA, architects who are also scrupulous about this, and feel a certain satisfaction in being part of the ethical brigade.

When I look back now on all these facts, I think I should give credit for this to the people of integrity I met in my early career, who shaped the character of my practice and behaviour. If I had not met people like Mr. Kharkar, I do not whether I would have been able to maintain such a straight path throughout my career.

No comments: