Monday, July 13, 2020

Aurangabad : Early days 06


Meanwhile, my practice was taking a good turn now, as my first project got certain recognition from both the Sailu Municipal Council and the Town Planning Department. The Sailu Municipal Council, impressed by my previous work decided to demolish its own old office building and entrusted me the task of designing a new one. I was, at the time, very much influenced by the work of my former boss, Ar. V. T.  Kota, and the office building shows a distinct relation to his work. I did a lot of experiments in the construction and the detailing, and I was glad that I could get a good contractor like Mr. Balchandani to get it executed.

However, by the time the building got completed, the state government dissolved the Municipal Council and appointed the Deputy Collector as an Administrator. This fellow, in order to be in good books of his boss, the Collector of Parbhani, invited him to inaugurate the Office Building and the ceremony turned out to be a sort of anti-climax, with me & our contractor felicitating the Collector for inaugurating the building instead of him felicitating us and giving some public recognition of our contribution in design and execution of the project. This was the first and only time it happened, and I was too young to notice the irony; it was Mr. Kharkar, the ex-president who pointed this out to me later.

Of course, as luck would have it, elections were announced and Mr. Kharkar was elected President again, this time by direct voting, instead of being chosen by the council members. He thus was now in a stronger position and executed many more development projects in Sailu. It goes without saying that I was entrusted with all the building projects in this scenario, but I was also entrusted with a lot of other work, like development of roads and construction of bridges, of which I had some awareness but not expertise. I confessed this to Mr. Kharkar, who said that he had implicit faith in me to get the right guidance from experts in the field, and get the works executed in the most appropriate way. I was overwhelmed by his confidence in me, and hope that I have not let him down in all the years I worked for the Sailu Municipal Council.

I am proud of the fact that my work with Sailu Municipal Council got recognition from the Town Planning Department, particularly by the Deputy Director of Town Planning at Aurangabad, Mr. Patharkar, who was also an architect himself. Two of my projects, a public library and a primary school, were adopted as type design for the department, though I did not get any royalty for the design. But I was content to be recognised, which made my work with the department quite easy, as they were our financers. It was the Town Planning Department who would approve the project, approve the budget and disburse the money, so it didn’t hurt to be in their good books.

On the background of allegations of large-scale corruption today, it may come as a surprise to many when I remember that at that time the Department of Town Planning was once the cleanest department in Maharashtra. The decisions were based on merits of the case, and I do not remember a single incident of any untoward practice. In fact, after we got acquainted fairly, the Deputy Director himself would phone me and take me with him in his own car for his site visits to project at Sailu and nearby places, and he would not allow me to pay even for the tea on the way. ‘Mr. Kulkarni’, he would explain, ‘the Government pays me TA and DA.’ It reads like a fairly tale now, but I can vouch for it as I have personally experienced the favours of the good-natured people all my life without any expectations of returns.

No comments: